Friday 25 July 2008

He's found his thumb and sleeping through the night

A couple nights ago Neil and I were standing in the kitchen when we heard this loud sucking noise coming from Cameron's bedroom. As quietly as we could we opened the door to his room and peeked in and there he was, sucking on his tiny thumb. You wouldn't really think it would be that satisfying considering how small his thumb is, but apparently it's soothing. Who knows if this will really become a habit and if it will go on for a long time.

We gave him a pacifier for a while, but decided to take it away when we got back from Scotland not even two weeks ago. At that same time he started sleeping through the night(not even two weeks ago-meaning I am getting more sleep. Although I still tend to wake up. I'm going to have to learn how to sleep through the night myself!). I don't just mean he sleeps from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. He sleeps roughly from 9 p.m. to 7.30 a.m.! I don't know what happened, but it's great. I didn't think it would ever happen. And was expecting to be getting up in the night for quite some time since I'm breastfeeding. Maybe he is able to self-soothe now that he sucks his thumb rather than looses his pacifier and wakes up in the middle of the night without it. The downside to the thumb is that you can't take it away...and it could be hard to stop. Not to mention cause us some extra pennies on the orthodontics bill in the future. I hope he doesn't keep up the thumb sucking until he's 8 years old, like somebody I know....



No comments: